Friday, April 17, 2015

Teacher Appreciation


I love our teachers! I mean it. I really do. During the last 14 years of having 4 kids in school, I can honestly say that our teachers have been wonderful! We have had the occasional “bad apple”, but overall they have all been pretty fabulous.

You see, I used to be a “teacher”. I was technically a Parapro or Teacher’s Assistant. I attended college to be a teacher. However, I never completed my degree. I am pretty much only lacking the student teaching portion of my degree. Why? Well, I fell out of love with the job.

I was a Substitute Teacher for several years and loved it. I enjoyed the flexibility of that schedule. Then, I decided to work full-time as a Parapro. I enjoyed it. However, my joy was squelched by the Administration and by the parents of the students. Teachers put up with a lot! Nonsensical rules and bad attitudes from their “bosses” as well as nitpicky, whiny parents whose kid can’t do anything wrong. You know the type…Little Johnny doesn’t complete his schoolwork and homework, but the teacher is to blame for the poor grades.

After being with teachers, day in and day out, I came to have a new found respect and appreciation for them. They deserve tons more praise, love, and appreciation than they receive!

National Teacher Appreciation Day is May 5, 2015. Typically, Teacher Appreciation is the entire week. (May 4-8, 2015).

We love giving our teachers all sorts of goodies throughout the school year. I usually send a nice treat with my kiddos on the first day of school. For added love and appreciation, I like to send goodies at each holiday: Thanksgiving, Christmas, Valentine’s Day, and Easter. The week of Teacher Appreciation, I usually send a goody on each day. Then, on the last day of school, I will send a nice Thank You gift. To some, this may seem like overkill. But to me, I want to encourage those who are working so hard for the education, safety, and future of my precious kids.

Here are some of the gifts we have given to our teachers this year.

At Christmas, each teacher received a personalized frame. Female teachers received art that said, “Teachers change the world one child at a time.” For male teachers, I tried to make them something a little more “manly”. Theirs read, “I teach. What’s your superpower?” I actually make these pieces of art and sell them in my Etsy Store.

For Valentine’s Day, each teacher received a snack sized bag of chips with a little note. Again, I tried to do gender appropriate notes. The ladies had notes that read, “You are all that and a bag of chips. Happy Valentine’s Day.” And the guy’s notes said. “Nacho average teacher. Happy V-Day!”

For Easter, all teachers received the same yummy gift. A box of Marshmallow Peeps with a card that read, “Happy Easter to one of my favorite Peeps!”

This week, my daughter’s Prek is having an early teacher appreciation week. Although my daughter’s teachers are opposite genders, they are both getting the same gifts. My 5 year old’s school posted a daily theme for the gifts (I have seen this in the past at one of my other children’s elementary schools.)

Day 1-Sweets Day
Day 2- Flower Day
Day 3-Fruit Day
Day 4-Card/Note/Letter Day
Day 5-Parent’s Choice

I really don’t mind the assigned themes. It gives me a welcomed challenge to come up with neat little gifts. Here’s what I came up with.

Sweets Day: A pack of chocolate or powdered donuts with a note, “DONUT know what I’d do without a teacher like you!”

Flower Day: A mini shovel with a packet of seeds. Note: “Thanks for helping me GROW!”

Fruit Day: An individual bottle of Simply Orange brand juice. Note: “You’re SIMPLY the best!” (SEE PHOTO FROM SWEETS DAY!)

Card Day: A thank you card with my daughter’s drawing of the teacher and a school photo.

Parent’s Choice: In the past, I would give a $5 gift card to Blockbuster for a dvd rental and 2 packages of microwavable popcorn. Note: “Movie Night! Because even stars need a night off!”

Do you have any great go-to ideas for Teacher Appreciation?
P.S. “If you can read this, thank a teacher.”

Links:

My Etsy Store

I'm featured on What's on the List. Check it out!
I'm featured at The Creative Collection Party. Check it out!
I'm featured on I Should Be Mopping The Floor. Check it out!
I'm featured on Best Recipes & DIY Projects. Check it out!

Photo creds: Pixgood.com for the Thank you apple graphic.

8 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing your Teacher's Appreciation ideas with us on the Spring Craft Blog Hop. As a former teacher, I know how much these things can mean!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Beverly! We love to share the love with our teachers! :)

      Delete
  2. Ahh this is great and what great ideas to show appreciation. I agree they need more praise for all that they do. Thank you so much for linking up to Share With Me. I hope to see you again tomorrow for another great round. #sharewithme

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love appreciating what teacher's do!
    Thanks for sharing with the Say G'day party! Pinned and hope to see you on Saturday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are nice ideas. School is almost over again, great timing. We are so glad you shared with us at Merry Monday. I hope to see you at the new party beginning tonight at 9pm EST.

    ReplyDelete